What issues are decided in a divorce case?

The main issues decided in a divorce are how to divide property between the parties, whether or not one party will pay maintenance (aka alimony or spousal support) to the other, and if the parties have children, child support and custody/visitation are decided as well.

Property: So how do courts divide property? Courts will distinguish between non-marital (separate) property and marital property. Separate property is not divided, but rather is kept by the party it belongs to. Marital property, on the other hand, is divided the marital property fairly. Illinois is an equitable distribution state. This means courts will divide property fairly, but not always equally, based on a combination of factors the court deems appropriate. Determining what is equitable can be challenging and the valuation and allocation of assets such as businesses, stocks, pensions, and retirement accounts can be tedious.

Maintenance: The Court will first decide if alimony will be paid by one party to the other. If the Court determines that alimony is appropriate, then it must decide the amount and duration of the spousal support.

Child Custody/Visitation: Custody or visitiation may be decided through mediation if the parties are able to reach an agreement, which is enforceable by the Court. If an enforceable agreement cannot be reached, the Court will determine an appropriate custody/visitation schedule.In Illinois, parents are required to attend a 4 hour parenting education class within 60 days of the first court hearing. For more information on the parenting education class you can contact the local Circuit Clerk’s Office.

Child Support: Child Support is the money the noncustodial parent pays toward the living expenses of their children. Many people want to know how long they will have to pay child support? Support typically terminates when the child turns 18, or 19 if the child has yet to graduate from high school. However, support may continue into adulthood if the child is physically or mentally disabled. Courts may also sometimes require parents to make financial contributions to help the child with college expenses like tuition, room/board, and books so there is not a set-standard rule that once a child turns 18 support payments end.

Blog Disclaimer:

The intent of this Blog is to provide general information and should not be construed as legal advice. Koth, Gregory & Nieminski, P.C. does not represent/guarantee that the information in this Blog is current and the information is provided as is without any representation/warranty as to whether the information is current and without any representation/warranty as to applicability, reliability, merchantability, fitness, non-infringement, result, or any other matter. The existence of the blog, receipt of its information, and/or comments/questions do NOT create an attorney-client relationship between Koth, Gregory & Nieminski, P.C. or any of its attorneys. Please do not send Koth, Gregory & Nieminski, P.C. any confidential material or information. Viewers of this Blog should NOT act/refrain from acting based on information contained in this blog and Koth, Gregory & Nieminski, P.C. expressly disclaims all liability for actions/failures to act based on this Blog.